Login or create an accountClose
I am a returning customer
Login or create an accountClose
Your Account Has Been Created!
Thank you for registering with Aromatherapy O‚óŹPODS!
You will be notified by e-mail once your account has been activated by the store owner.
If you have ANY questions about the operation of this online shop, please contact the store owner.
You have been logged off your account. It is now safe to leave the computer.
Your shopping cart has been saved, the items inside it will be restored whenever you log back into your account.
Why is Cacao so popular as a Superfood?
21 Benefits of Cacao -- Daily Superfood Love
We offer this article from now defunct dailysuperfoodlove.com. Organic Guild is not endorsing cacao, raw or any other way including in coKo.nz products, as being of medicinal value or meant to be a medicine. So take any or all of this Superfood article and accompanying infographic with a grain of salt :)
The benefits of cacao are truly fantastic: it can improve your memory, increase your bliss, reduce heart disease, shed fat, boost immunity, and create loads of energy. The Incas considered it the drink of gods, an association that gave rise to the scientific name of the cocoa tree, Theobroma cacao, from the Greek words theo (god) and broma (drink).
It may surprise you to discover that raw cacao contains nearly four times the antioxidant content of regular processed dark chocolate, 20 times more than blueberries, and 119 times more than bananas. Raw (naturally fermented) cacao and processed chocolate sold in bars and pieces are two completely separate foods.
Processed chocolate is made with roasted cocoa, sugar, milk, and other ingredients that turn it into a solid food. Studies have found that by adding dairy this actually blocks the absorption of antioxidants in chocolate. While processed chocolate may taste delicious, the benefits of cacao are only found in the raw form.
HOW DOES RAW CACAO TASTE? Most natural cacao available today has undergone a fermentation process (not roasting) that removes the bitterness. Both raw cacao beans and nibs undergo the fermentation process that preserves the antioxidants. If it is your first time eating cacao, we recommend using naturally fermented raw cacao beans. This intensifies the berry and coffee notes naturally found in chocolate‚Äôs flavour. The intense flavour is similar to unsweetened dark cocoa powder or Baker‚Äôs chocolate. If you prefer milk chocolate then you can add raw cacao to smoothies or mix with other foods to make it easier for you to get used to the stronger taste.
SUPERCHARGE HEALTH WITH 21 BENEFITS OF CACAO
1) Get Happy With Cacao : Some days you just need to find your bliss ‚Äď cacao is one of the healthiest foods, you can consume. Cacao contains the mood improver, anandamide ‚Äď known as the bliss molecule, which creates a feeling of euphoria.
2) As an aphrodisiac ‚Äď Another mood-enhancing compound found in cacao is PEA or phenethylamine, which triggers the release of endorphins and pleasurable opium-like neurochemicals. These often release naturally when we fall in love and during sexual activity. (The only other food on earth that contains PEA is blue-green algae.) In addition these chemicals improve libido, which is probably why chocolate is so popular on Valentine‚Äôs Day or as a token of love.
3) Balance Hormonal Mood Swings: Cacao boosts brain levels of serotonin, the feel good brain chemical. When women are experiencing PMS serotonin levels drop dramatically. The benefits of cacao are proven to boost the brain levels of calming hormones and restore feelings of well-being.
4) Protect Your Heart and Prevent Cardiovascular Disease: Flavanols an antiinflammatory and heart protective antioxidant found in raw cacao may protect against cardiovascular disease, reduce the risk of stroke, and help improve blood circulation. Cacao contains over 700 compounds and the complex antioxidants found in it known as polyphenols help reduce ‚Äėbad cholesterol‚Äô and prevent hardening of the arteries. It is mind boggling to think that no heart drug on the market can come close to the protective benefits of cacao.
5) The Department of Nutrition at University of California, Davis discovered that cacao thins blood and can prevent blood clots. This finding shows that eating raw cacao can be just as beneficial as taking an aspirin a day.
6) Cacao can prevent premature aging ‚Äď polyphenol antioxidants found in cacao belong to the same group of antioxidants as green tea and red wine. These anthocyanins (found in dark coloured fruits) and catechins (found in green tea) protect our cells from premature oxidation or destruction and can keep us looking and feeling younger longer.
7) Drinking a cup of hot cacao before meals can help you shed fat. This is due to cacao‚Äôs MAO inhibitors, which shrink appetite. MAO inhibitors are often found in weight loss products. However cacao‚Äôs unique MAO‚Äôs allow more serotonin to circulate in the brain. Don‚Äôt consume more than 40 grams or four heaping teaspoons of cacao daily. If you find the taste of cacao too strong, add coconut milk, rice, or nut milk. Avoid dairy, as it will prevent antioxidant absorption. By gently heating and making your own delicious hot cacao beverage, you will release more antioxidants and increase the appetite suppressant properties. Add one teaspoon of cacao powder in a coffee cup of hot water or milk and drink 10-15 minutes before your next meal. Who needs dangerous diet pills?
8) Create loads of energy and combat fatigue with one of the highest concentrations of magnesium found in this natural food source. Magnesium also helps to protect against osteoporosis, reduces type II diabetes, and lowers blood pressure.
9) Get shiny hair, strong nails, and take care of your liver and pancreas with this great source of sulfur.
10) Lower your blood pressure naturally, in a study of 470 men from the Zutphen Elderly study, the benefits of cacao intake are found to reduce blood pressure by patients who took a small amount every evening.
11) The antioxidant properties of cacao were also found to reduce insulin resistance and sensitivity in people with impaired glucose tolerance and smokers.
12) Cacao has the ability to help improve kidney and stimulate bowel function.
13) Reset your metabolism and restore your internal balance with cacao ‚Äď Not getting enough antioxidants in your diet can have dangerous long-term health consequences. A Swiss 2009 study found that in just under two weeks cacao reduced the stress hormone cortisol, improved metabolism, and even improved gut microbial activity.
14) Prevent sunburns ‚Äď A recent study by London scientists found participants who ate 20 grams of cacao for 12 weeks were able to stay in the sun for twice as long as those who didn‚Äôt, without getting sunburned.
15) Get glowing skin and improve skin texture ‚Äď In 2006 the Journal of Nutrition found that women who drank cacao with at least 326 mg of flavonals a day had better skin texture, improved microcirculation, increased oxygen saturation, and improved skin hydration than those didn‚Äôt. Stir some cacao powder in your cup of coffee or add to a smoothie.
16) Skin cancer prevention ‚Äď German scientists found that cacao may protect against harmful UV rays that cause cancer.
17) Fight tooth decay ‚Äď Recent studies from Tulane University discovered that an extract of cocoa powder was even more effective than fluoride in preventing cavities. This crystalline extract similar to caffeine helps harden teeth enamel.
18) Theobromine found in cacao was found to halt coughs better than codeine or commercial cough suppressants with the equivalent of two cups. In fact the UK based study by the British Lung Foundation discovered codeine was only slightly more effective than the placebo at preventing coughing with no side effects.
19) Improves cognitive function and prevents Alzheimer‚Äôs ‚Äď A Harvard study by Dr. Gary Small, showed that middle-aged people who drank two cups a day had improved memory and increased blood flow to the brain.
20) Better digestion thanks to the fibre found in raw cacao, that stimulates the body‚Äôs digestive enzymes.
21) Healthy fats ‚Äď your body needs fat contrary to what some health practitioners preach. Fats are the helpers that create chemical reactions for: growth, immune function, and metabolic function. Healthy fats found in raw cacao are similar to the monounsaturated fat found in olive oil.